Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 17:43:07 -0400
Hi all,

Okay, I had to ferret proof my fridge at the last apt-- open kitchen so baby
gates didn't work, not to mention they all loved climbing over the couch to
get to the pass through area...sigh.

My friends at the Brevard Ferret Rescue came over and brought some wire mesh
(not the chicken wire, the wire formed squares about 1 in by 1 in).  Using
pliers, they shaped a flat sheet in a U-shape to fit in the space under the
fridge, so it fit tight and could not be pulled out by ferrets.  We proofed
all 3 sides of the fridge.  To keep them out of the back of the fridge, I
stacked boxes and books between the fridge and the nearest cabinet.  I had
to put the box on the bottom so the ferrets couldn't climb the smooth sides,
then I added books on top to create an overhang since the box wasn't quite
tall enough.This method works best with all those college textbooks you
couldn't sell back at the end of the semester.  Also, the wire mesh idea
worked for the bottom of the fireplace where the ventilation slot was just
big enough for the ferrets to all be able to climb in....

Kathleen and the 4 fuzzballs and the 4 at the Rainbow Bridge