From:
Debbi Searing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:45:02 EST
I have noticed a couple people discussing problems they had when they
introduced new ferrets to their older ferrets, then green diarrhea appears,
then the trip to the vet seems to wind up with sicker ferrets.

I wanted everyone to learn from my experience with this issue, especially
since my ferret vet is a ferret expert and is consulted by Tufts on
occasion.  In a case such as the above, with introduction of new, young
ferrets to older ferrets, if green diarrhea appears in the older ferrets,
assume a helicobacter infection before you think ECE.  Apparently it is
very easy to confuse the two (my first vet did, before I found the expert
in my state!) and they are treated differently.  Helicobacter usually gets
a month-long dose of antibiotic (and usually stronger than Amoxicillin),
plus either Pepto or a stronger anti-diarrhea medicine, and treatment of
stomach ulcers if necessary with Carafate.

My Molly was first diagnosed with ECE and treated accordingly, but the
diarrhea continued, very seedy looking but less green, so I looked around
for this great ferret vet I'd heard so much about and off we went.  Molly
is doing great, hasn't had diarrhea since, and I never had to force-feed
her any duck soup.

Just thought people should be aware of this--my vet says it's very easy to
mistake for ECE but if not treated properly can result in all sorts of bad
things happening!

Dooks,
Debbi, Molly, and Merlin (who just dug the nicest little hole in my bed
*sigh)