From:
Joseph C Ronk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 05:42:46 -0500
>Kodo's plight got me wondering about TN's policy.  I called the Wildlife
>Resources Agency and they stated the Ferret is considered domestic.  But I
>would have to call the Public Health Department concerning the rabies
>policy.  I did, and wasn't happy to hear that TN is a kill and test state.
>The Public Health department still considers ferrets to be wild animals and
>usually "kill and test".  The man did say there could be exceptions, but
>wouldn't tell me what conditions those exceptions would be based upon.

Rebecca,
Where in Tennessee do you live.  I did the same checking, the officer at
Shelby (Memphis) County Animal Control told me that the law does not mention
ferrets specifically but that Shelby county applies the same quarantine as
dogs and cats (10 days).  If you are in Shelby county we have two different
stories.  If you are not then your local Public Health/Animal Control does
not have to kill, it is a policy decision.

Joe Ronk
Pale Face and Slinky