Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:26:20 -0600
I just finished reading and rereading the post by
>Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Some GOOD news about the shedding studies

And I'm afraid I must be kinda slow and dense.  I just don't see the good
news.  All I can find is yet another example of the good Dr. Ruprecht
stroking the ferret community while still remaining politically correct
enough not to offend the public health community.  In essence all he has
said is keep hope, we are working on it.  He has promised nothing and yet he
throws in a subtle mention about funding.  Please point out to me where in
his message he indicated when there would be an end to this.

Remember folks, we have to do every possible strain of rabies variant (and
don't forget the platypus), at every dose rate, and then we have to take
into account environmental factors (remember rabies acts differently in New
York than in New Mexico).  I'm not making this up.  This comes from a
conversation I had with Suzanne Jenkins years ago when she was in charge of
the Compendium committee.  Hell, at the rate we are doing studies, by the
time we get through all the species, varaiants, etc.  that they want we will
have established trade agreements with extraterrestrials.  And then we'll
have to test THOSE strains.