From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:20:29 -0800
Though this video is cute it's far from unique. This is typical otter
behaviour in the wild so totally natural that aquarium otters would do
this. One or more otters with grab a piece of kelp and wrap it around
themselves to anchor themselves in place since the kelp attaches to
rocks on the bottom of the ocean. The others will link arms and make
what they call a "raft" of sea otters.

I learned this from staff at the Seattle Aquarium where we have
several sea otters and the most successful captive breeding program
in the world. This Spring I want to head to the coast of Washington to
Destruction Island where the highest concentration of sea otters call
home.

Laura