From:
Mary Segalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 21:03:44 -0400
I would just like to brag on Mr April on the SOS calendar. I so love
this calendar and all the adorable featured ferrets. Rascal got his own
month. Mr. April is my RascalLyon. Sadly I lost Rascal two months ago
today, February 9, from cadriomyopathy. I had him to the vet 5 days
before he died because of a mild morning cough. Somehow, even though
his exam was normal, his heart sounded good, his lungs were clear, and
all else was normal, I knew in my heart something was very wrong. He
would cough a little in the morning, like a cat coughing up a furball,
and then he would be fine. But he seemed to have less energy. Other
than that all was fine.

The morning he left me we went outside as usual to play together. We
ran around the field, him racing ahead then stopping, turning toward
me to roll over on his back and have me "get" his belly. We had such a
good time. He was my baby boy. An hour later I heard the dreaded cough.
But this time was different and instead of lasting a few seconds it
went on and on and I soon realized he was struggling and his lungs were
filling. He was gone within 2 hrs. The vet put him to sleep in my arms.
There was nothing that could be done. He gave him lacix and xrayed him
and did all they could, but Rascal continued to deteriorate and we knew
he was going to drown in his own fluids or we let him go. And so we
did.

I love all my fuzzies but Rascal was especially special. He came from
McK's grand daughter, 2 yrs after the original rescue. Friends in Ohio
bought him for me, and drove him out to me in Virginia, feeling they
had rescued him from a less than ideal backyard breeding operation. He
quickly won my heart, and loved to lounge in my arms laying on his
back, being carried around like a baby for as long as I would indulge
him.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. The pain is so acute. I think I
must be crazy to go through this over and over. And yet I do, and you
do - somehow the joy these fuzzy babies bring outweighs the heart ache
and pain of losing them. Every time I say never again. And every time
within weeks or months I am bringing home more furry babies. Yesterday
I brought home 2 wonderful young boys from Barb Carlson's. Soon I will
completely lose my heart to them, as well.

Also in the calendar are my Scarlet, the top small picture below
Rascal, who was also a McKid, and sadly left us a year ago. And Fox
who has two pictures, the bottom small picture in August and December.

I love you, Rascal. And I miss you so. I look at your picture on the
calandar and I smile, but my eyes grow misty. You loved life, and it
was taken from you much too soon, and you were taken from ME much too
soon. I will never, ever get over losing you, and I will never ever
forget you. I thought you would live to be at least 8, but those big
sable boys of McK's seems to have genetic weaknesses.

I will meet you at the Bridge with all our buddies and together we will
all enter the gates of heaven together.

Mary
with Fox and SonnyLam, and introducing Luke and Andy (names subject to
change, lol)
Missing Rascal, Ben, Scarlet, Bear, Bianka, Pip, Harry, Beatrice, Kiki
and Pheobe