From:
Anna Marie Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:41:12 -0500
Hello,

I am relatively new here, I've been reading the ML to get a feel for
it, but now I need help.  I am waiting on a call back from my ferret's
doctor, but she is out sick all week, so I don't know if she will get
back to me soon or not.

My ferret Mary Jane has an upper respiratory infection.  She needs
adrenal surgery, but this infection has to clear up before we can start
drawing blood, etc.  She was on amoxicillian for a week, but it didn't
work.  Her doctor has now given her Baytril crushed up into VAL 10cc
syrup.  However I can not get her to take it.  I have tried everything
that I can think on.  I can't scruff her, she almost flips over my hand &
actually wriggles out of the scruff.  The vet was amazed at how squirmy
she was, since most ferrets just go limp.  I've tried getting it in the
side of her mouth, waiting for her to yawn, etc., but she just won't
take it.  I am at a loss & hoping someone here has had that problem.
Even with two people holding her (one on her body & one on her head) I
couldn't get it down!  My ferrets loved the amoxicillian, they couldn't
lap it down fast enough, but MJ just hates this.  I've already lost more
than 1/2 because she shakes her head & what little goes down comes right
back out.

Thanks!  (and hi, nice to meet everyone ^^;;)
Anna

My Ferrets - http://ryen.net/ferrets/