From:
outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:43:31 -0800
 Subject: RE: Ferrets Imported to Australia
 Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:03:15 +1100
 From: [log in to unmask]
 To: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your letter in support of the importation of ferrets into
Australia.  We were actually unable to permit the importation of ferrets
into Australia by due of a piece of legislation.  Last year with the
proclamation of the Quarantine Proclamation 1998 we are now able to
consider the importation of ferrets.

I am the contact officer conducting the import risk analysis (IRA) into
ferret importation.  I have been heartened by the Compendium of Animal
Rabies Control, 1998 that recommended control procedure for ferrets and
included them in the dog and cat recommendations.  However, I am worried by
the other diseases that ferrets carry in the USA that are not in Australia.
Namely enzootic catarrhal enteritis and the juvenile lymphosarcoma.  If you
could get some up to date information to me about these diseases I would be
extremely grateful.

Cats came to Australia many years ago, perhaps even on the First Fleet.
The long sea voyage was a very effective quarantine period and any sick
or rabid cats died before reaching Australia.

I expect to finalize my IRA later this year and I hope that ferrets, once
more, will be permitted to be imported into Australia.

Cheers

Dr Bob Templeton
Senior Veterinary Officer

I finally found the letter sent to me awhile back...see date.