Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 10:24:00 CDT
Anne - I use Prelone in all my ferrets with insulinoma that are not good
surgical risks or insulinomas were not found.  I found it is easier to
administer (although it tastes horrible - I taste all their medicines)
and I divide the dose to twice a day 12 hours apart, and I also use
Proglycem.  I also feed a special mush mixture (individualized to each
particular ferret) to provide extra protein. I have not had good results
with Prelone by itself, in our cases it is the combination of Prelone
and Proglycem that have worked so well.  Whitney lived for 2 years after
her diagnosis with only a couple low blood sugar attacks.  I did find that
Proglycem requires an adjustment period to find the correct dosage, in
our cases it is normally 3 months before we are stabilized.  I've heard
that sometimes Proglycem doesn't work and I wonder if it is because it
takes so long to get to that point.  Teddy Bear's (8 yrs) insulinoma is
diet controlled only, no medication.  Without the medications Whitney
and Nikki would have both died without it.
Hugs.  tle