From:
Chris Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 18:35:14 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I don't know if this will work or not in the unfore seen case that Ashley
was to get out, but it looks hopefull.  Since Ashley has learned to walk on
her leash, I take her for a walk to the store with me atleast 2 times a
week.  It usually takes forever to get there since she has to stop and check
everything out on her way, but she is getting better each time.  She loves
to run and I mean run down the streets that have curbs.  She plants herself
right up against the curb, while in the street and runs along side of it.
When we get close to the store, I lay her day pack on the ground and she
runs into it.  She gets made at me when I zip it shut so noone can see her
while we are in there.  As soon as I get back out I unzip the pack and she
will either jump out to walk all the way home or she will just put her front
feet on the open part of the pack with her head sticking out for sight
seeing.  She lets me know when she wants to get back out and walk which is
usually not to far down the road.  She then heads for home and right to the
front door.  I just follow her and she leads me right to the house and right
to the front door and she just sits there until I open it up for her to run
in.  She throughs a fit if she thinks that it is takeing me to long to open
up the door for her.

I also take her out atleast once a week and just let her walk around the
outside of the house.  When she wants to go back in, she goes to the front
door and waits for me to open it.

Well after all of that, my point is this.  Since she seems to know where her
house and the front door is, I hope that she will remember that if she gets
out and just comes back to the door to wait for me to let her back in.  I
hope it works and if you have the time, please try it.  It breaks my heart
to hear of one of these cuties being out and lost.  I can't hurt to try!

Concerning leashes.  I have heard bad things about the figure 8 leads, since
the 2 loops sizes are controled by a single screw that has been known to
lossen.  When that has happened the loop around the neck has gotten smaller
and can shoke the ferret.  I do not know this for fact, but looking at them
I can see how this can happen.  I would rather be safe then sorry.  I have
found the best harnes to be an H-harness either with zelcro fasteners or my
favorite that I can't wait to get is the type with the eazy snap fasteners.
All you have to do is set it for the right size when you get it and then
just snap the to loops around your fuzzie and off you go.  I really think
that this type is the safest and the easiest to use.  Side note: Ashley
hates collars and won't keep one on for more then 15 mins, but she doesn't
seem to even notice her H-Harnes.  Which she only wears when she is going
out of the house.

With also living in Florida, I know the pains of Fleas!  I have found that
the once a month Advantage flea control to work the best.  It is not made
for ferrets, but I use the kitten dosage and have not had a problem.  Before
I tried it, I checked around and was not able to find any negitivities to
using it on a ferret.  I have found it to be the best and have not had any
problems with it, but please do not take my word for it and check with your
vet before trying any products not made for ferrets.

I wish the best of health to you all and to all of your fuzzies.

Chris
and
Ashley (When are you going to buy me that new toy I want?  You know the
other ferret for me to use as a play toy.)