From:
Lynn Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:29:22 -0700
Hi there,

We had a similar issue when we integrated Princess Daisy into our
group. At the time, she came from a shelter and we didn't know her
history. We thought she was about 1-2 yo. We had 2 boys, a bonded pair,
and they were equally aggressive in starting fights with each other
[girl vs boys. This went on for more than a year. Then one of the boys
passed from insulinoma and we got Teddy who became the peacemaker.

She would scream like she was under attack when she in fact was the one
doing the attacking. There was a long battle between her and Jack, who
was alpha. We have a Ferret Nation cage and eventually just kept the
boys in the bottom and Daisy on top. We still gave them all out time
at the same time and tried to keep the fights broken up. It was always
fun when they happened in the bottom drawer of my dresser, because when
she's attacking, she poops. Yay.

Last summer, we got Peanut, who was just a baby at the time, and he
seemed to be the glue that brought the group together. Now, they all
play together, and since Jack is almost 8 and adrenal, the other 3 have
become tightly bonded. Daisy and Jack still don't get along great, but
they've come to a truce I think. It's been 3 years.

They all get soup for breakfast and dinner. At first Daisy got her own
plate, and then we slowly brought her to the group plate. Now all 4
eat together.

I'm not a ferret expert. We've now had 6 since 2007 [4 currently,
including Miss Princess Daisy, as the only female]. But I feel like
it's really about personality, and sometimes, there just isn't much
you can do except keep them separate and slowly but surely let them
come to terms with each other.

Lynn, Denver
Ferrent to Jack, Teddy, Daisy and Peanut