From:
"Scarlett A. Gray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 23:42:40 EST
Dear All:

Because the discussion of responsible ferretry operation has been posted in
this public forum and accusations have been made directed at me personally,
I will respond here publicly only this once.  I also ask that any comments,
queries or advice be sent directly to me and not be posted here as to stem
arguments with unfounded basis, rumors or involve people who truly do not
have the complete story and may or may not not wish to be a part this
discussion.  I also ask that any reprint of any piece of this response be
done with the response in its entirety so that no piece may be taken out
of context.

Now the facts.

I do operate a clean, disease free responsible ferretry and small rescue
operation.  I can supply many references to that effect from not only
ferret owners, but other ferretries and veterinarians as well to anyone
who wishes or needs such references.  Anyone that wants to come visit my
ferretry at any time is welcome.  I would appreciate a call to make sure I
am at home but if someone feels a "surprise visit" is necessary, I have no
problem and will still welcome them into my home.  Anyone that would like
to see documented evidence is also welcome to contact me directly.

I have always been up front and honest about any of my activities.  I feel
I acted in a prompt and responsible manner.  I will not join in the
flaming, mud slinging nor rumor mill as I feel it is counter productive
for the ferret community.  If that is "copping out" so be it.  Too many
people get caught up in the frenzy and end up saying things that hurt
people they are supposed to care about.  As a friend said "let's not eat
our own".  If we are to react responsibly as a community I believe we must
meet challenges head on with anyone or anything that we perceive as a
problem and not operate as a rumor mill.

I, do want to be part of the solution and will be contributing personally
and am also actively contacting HOFA club members for raising funds for
assistance.  As soon as a person/shelter/vet is designated, the funds will
be sent immediately.

I welcome any personal responses but please be patient.  Due to time
constraints that I know anyone that runs a ferretry, shelter/rescue with
50+ ferrets and has a full time "regular" job can understand.  Add the
fact of the holiday season and family commitments, I don't always get back
immediately.

Thank you.

Scarlett Gray, President
Heart of Ohio Ferret Association