From:
Dawn Tepley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:19:15 -0500
[2-part post combined in one.  BIG]

Hi to all this concerns (that should be everyone! :-),

Sugar is not good as you think.  It acts like a drug when you take it in
large amounts daily (its in practically everything we eat!  Cereal, meat,
fruit, veggies, bread, ect).  It can also cause allergic reactions, and
cripple your body1s function of the immune system.  Its healthier to use
alternative sweetners such as honey, stevia, ect.  Stevia contains FOS
(fructooligosaccharides) which supports and nourishes the good bacteria in
your intestines (lactobaccillus and bifidobacteria) which are a big part of
your immune system.  Sugar, just like alcohol is very intoxicating and its
hard to quit eating products that contain sugar.  If you stop taking sugar
all of the sudden, you can get headaches, body aches, chills because you
got your body to used to having sugar all the time.  You have to stop
eating it gradually.  If you do not believe me, my own brother, and
multiple, multiple people that I know have BAD reactions to sugar, and
usually along with sugar, dyes.  They use Stevia.  I have a book called
"Allergies and Holistic Healing" by Skye Weintraub N.D.  Recommended by
M.D. John Diamond who said this about the book: "I enthusiastically
recommend this book to any health practitioner or patient...."  In chapter
28, She talks about the reasons why sugar is bad, and why things like
Stevia are good substitutes.  Here are some things she stated in her book,
which have been changed (condensed in my own words) so as to not break any
copyright laws.

  ------------------------------------
The reason that the FDA does not want Stevia to be allowed is simple:
Big money investments by U.S. manufacturerers to keep products like
Asparatame, NutraSweet, and sugar in our food products.  Japan has used
Stevia for 30 years and they had Stevia extensivley researched for health
risks.  They found none and they put it in soft drinks, treats, ect.  When
Coca Cola sends their soft drinks to other countries, they use Stevia
instead of Nutrasweet and sugar.  The American Herbal Products Association
(AHPA) has sent in petitions for Stevia to be allowed as a 'safe' product
to use, to the FDA.  They sent over 900 articles praising Stevia.  Other
countries including South Korea, Israel, Japan, China, and South America
allow Stevia and consider it safe indeed.  Stevia has been used for
hundreds of years (south america, ect.) by millions and it has caused no
health problems or effects that sugar NutraSweet, ect.  have.

  -----------------------------------
You can use it as much as you want, no problems have arisen from friends
of mine that have used it for over 5 years.  And I am talking of more than
a few people.  My entire family avoids sugar, nutrasweet, ect. as best we
can and use honey, but mostly stevia as a sugar replacement and we have had
no ill effects.  I also stay away from dyes because of the terrible effects
it has on my brother (vomiting, flu, ect).  I posted about Stevia mainly
beacause I wanted to know if anyone has given it to ferrets before, and I
will give it to mine to sweeten up a treat once in a while.  And I will say
that Gatorade and Pedialyte are no great thing.  They have tons of sugar,
dyes, ect.  That makes my toes curl!  If I will not drink it, my animals
certainly will not either!  That is my choice, and even tho Stevia is not
FDA approved, I consider sugar, which is certified as 'safe' by the FDA,
unsafe for my health and my pets.  Many of you have opinions which highly
differ from mine and thats fine, you can do what you choose.  Just do not
flame me for sharing my opinion thank you, I haven t flamed you for yours.
I would like you all to read chapter 28 of "Allergies and Holistic Healing"
by Skye Weintraub N.D.  And her book may change your opinion on sugar, like
mine.  Here are also a couple recipes for HEALTHY electrolyte replacers,
which WORK!!!  (You can substitute Stevia or honey for the sugar part, and
instead of cool aide use a healthy substitute such as Emer'gen-C Hi-K
fizzing drink which I will mention later)

 -----------------------------
ELECTROLYTE AND FLUID REPLACER

1 tsp. of "Lite Salt" (by Morton, made of half iodized potassium-chloride,
           and half sodium chloride comes in a -blue cylinder)
1/3 tsp of Baking Soda
10 tsp of Sugar (you can substitute Honey for same amount or use - 2 and
           1/2 tsp. of Stevia instead of 10 tsp. sugar)
1 Quart of Water

Mix and refigerate contents so it lasts longer.  Use as much as needed.

(by and called Dr. Orient1s Formula)

 ------------------Or Use: (both work)-------------------------

HOME MADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1 Quart of Water
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Table Salt
3 or 4 Tbsp. Sugar (you can substitute honey for same amount as - sugar
             or use 6-8 tsp.of Stevia)

Mix together and refrigerate.  To improve taste add a pinch of coolaide or
jello powder (I would use a pinch of a powdered Emer1gen-C Hi-K Cola or
similar flavor which is a fizzing high in vitamin C energy drink.  My
family looooooves it!  Tastes great and is good for you.  Caffeine free!
Instead of coolaide, yuk!  :-0)

(From the Kaiser Permanente Home Health Cookbook)

(please read part 2.............)  [following here...]
(read part 1 then go on to this next half)

I will use these in place of Gatorade and Pedialyte because of the healthy
ingredients.  Do what you want, but I will not use either Gatorade or
Pedialyte or anything else.  I wanted to share so people can decide for
themselves so they get both sides of the story.  Please do not flame
because it will get you nowhere.  I have made my decision and I will not
change it.  Let others speak for themselves if they wish to.

Here are some places you can get Stevia from:

Stevia Products-The Body Ecology Catalog
(800) 4 STEVIA
A stevia 'starter kit' that includes a 10 gram jar of powdered stevia
extract, a dropper bottle, and an information booklet.  Refills available.

Wisdom of the Ancients
(800) 947-6417
Sells whole-leaf liquid stevia for use as a dietary supplement for skin
care.  (Liquid stevia is also available in some health food stores.)

Jeans' Greens
(518) 239-8327
Supplier of cut stevia leaf.  You can request an article about the history
and use of stevia in other countries.

The Herbal Advantage
(417) 753-3999
Offers 100% powdered stevia leaf with a minimum purchase of four ounces.

Sunrider International
(310) 781-3808
Sells a dietary supplement of stevia extract and other ingredients
called Sunectar.  Call to find a distributor near you.

If you are interested in getting the fizzy Vitamin C drink, you can go
here:

http://www.alacercorp.com

I hope that everyone will try Stevia for themselves.  Your missing out on
one of Nature1s greatest gifts if you do not IMHO.

Bright Blessings and for our fuzzies,
Heidi T. (who just wants to share her opinion)