From:
sargentcolburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:04:59 -0400
Dear Ferret Folks-

I have been following this thread with interest.  I am curious, though.
What is the special reason for not breeding with any forshortening of the
facial bones, or changes in skull shape which I guess would be done to
make a snub-nosed ferret?

I claim no expertise in this area, I'm just a ferret slave.  When I think
of a deliberate foreshortening of facial bones, etc., I remember Mr.
Flatface.  He was a cat that a neighbour of mine took in.  Mr. Flatface
was a Persian, bred by a local breeder to be "extreme", I was told,
whatever that means.  I will admit he was... extroardinary.  His lower
jaw was tiny, and could not be completely closed.  His nose was literally
pushed back into his head.  His eyes protruded beyond the level of his
nose, as if he had been punched in the nose and his face collapsed
beneath the blow.  Like all Persians, he was a furball, but a furball
unable to groom himself at all, so he was always covered with thick mats
that had to be trimmed off with scissors in warm weather.

In a word he was UUUUU-GLY.  Women would see him and shriek, children
would stare, and throw sticks at him to make him go away.  His breeder
was going to have him put down, but my neighbour felt sorry for him.  He
had a completely normal cat intelligence, and actually learned to catch
mice, despite all his problems.  He was a very nice cat, once you got
past what he looked like.

I'm guessing this is the sort of reason we don't want snub-nosed ferrets?
(Just asking, not advocating, pointy snouts are fine with me!)

Alexandra in MA