From:
Leanne Bochenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:06:45 -0800
>I know I'm going to take a hit for this but I also have to tell you
>that it's my opinion that the signs of insulinoma are obvious and
>knowing what the treatment is, I don't see the value in doing glucose
>tests. Mostly because I just can't fathom clipping that nail to the
>quick . It is SOOOOOOOOOO painful for the ferret and I just can't
>bring myself to do it. Does knowing what the glucose level is affect
>how you are treating the insulinoma? I'm just looking for a solution
>to clipping that nail...and some may call my way a crap shoot but my
>crap shoot has been succesful and I just thought I'd share with all of
>you and try to understand more about why we put these guys through the
>pain of blood sugar tests.

Okay, long winded but point needs to be made

Dear Kim,

Are you telling me you are being judge (aka vet) and jury (you) here?
You are not validating glucose levels through serum or reliable blood
glucose meters? You are basing your diagnosis (aka: not a vet) on signs
that you are sure you know exist because you know what they are and
have seen them? Seriously, I am concerned. Do you know that other
illnesses can mimic low blood glucose levels in ferrets? I’m sure you
do. Do you know diabetes can mimic low blood sugar in ferrets apart
from sometimes not so obvious symptoms? Are you telling me a little
clip of the nail, a prick of the tail or of the toe is much worse than
having a ferret properly diagnosed by an experienced vet? I beg to
differ. You are playing with fire when you self diagnose what you think
may be low glucose. Testing glucose is as simple as getting an animal
validated meter and pricking a toe pad or tail. This of course is done
AFTER a vet visit to confirm the diagnosis. It's done mainly to monitor
falling glucose levels so if need be your vet can confirm and adjust
the dosage of pred.

I assume you knew that yes, people would speak out against this or you
wouldn't have stated as such. We humans, ferret moms and dads are not
Vets. Period. Using a human monitor is just that - a monitor! Even
such, they can be 20 plus points off in either direction. They (in
humans also) are used again to monitor glucose so that humans (aka
humans of ferrets too) can call their docs/vets to let them know they
need an adjustment of meds.

I'm sorry; I'm quite shocked that you have taken this into your own
hands in the manner in which you speak. And again, I'm worried (with
reason) that instead of proper vet care, you are assuming your judgment
is correct. Step up to bat... get the suspects to the vet for a serum
glucose reading. Get an animal validated meter or at least a meter you
can use to compare readings to a serum (even those are risky I've found
with ferrets) at your Vet's and stop thinking you can't do it or the
pain it causes for a split second. I've tested toe pads for a couple
of years using nothing but a few licks of tone, a lancet and an animal
validated meter. The ferret is none the worse for the wear and usually
doesn't even pay attention or flinch. Stop playing Vet and get them to
one. Your squeamishness can and will eventually cause a death that
could have been prevented had you taken the correct steps. Test
glucose, go to vet and confirm with serum, have the vet put them on
correct dosage of pred... Voila.. easy. Revisit the vet as soon as you
get another off reading for a possible adjustment in meds. Voila, easy.
And you will be doing the proper thing. After all, neither you nor I
are vets. It is not in good conscious to try and act like one.