Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:32:59 -0800
i have a 6 year old with a very low hematocrit and slightly elevated bun
and creatinine.  Richard has been syringe fed for 3years with baby chicken
and banana(this would take too long to explain) but he has been doing
really well on it.  My question is this, if this is the start of renal
failure I would like to cut down his protein to the minimum he needs,
therefore

1. How much protein does a 6 year old ferret need, in grams per pound per
   day.

2. In humans with renal failure it is recommended to stay away from
   animal derived protein, would this be true for ferrets, and could the
   protein be from whey instead.

We have started Richard on Epogen subq shots 3 times a week for the anemia,
has anyone out there used Epogen, our vet says it works very well on cats.