From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 1994 13:32:58 EDT
Hi All in ferret land!

To:  Jeffery C. Jones, Re: Green Virus...

While I don't claim to be a vet, I have the Virus here as well.
I believe that Bentril should be spelled as (Baytril) its an Antibiotic, wich
is one of the many things they are trying to treat the "Greenies" with.
 There are just as many opinions on this virus as there are vets. But so far
no one has been able to pin point an absolute cure, or medication.  But it
seems the basic Antibiotic is widely prescribed, such as Amoxi-drops,
CEFA-drops or Keflex.

Along with that some vets are using Flagyl (I think thats spelled right)
Its a common used Antiparasitic in other animals, and quite new to the use in
Ferrets, and I believe from what I read, Very hard to dose for them.
Some ferrets never go "green", (meaning their stool) while others will turn
green only after the administration of an Antibiotic, and others of course
turn Neon-green immediately!

>From what I've learned and read, and what seems to be the over all opinion is
that your ferret, once infected, will always be a carrier of the Virus.
 Usually kits won't get the virus because of natural imunity.
And kits born to parents who have already had it will not get it.
But I do believe that all the ferrets in the US will eventually get it.
                  ********This is ONLY my opinion**********
because I strongly believe that it is a Airborn virus.  Wich is how mine got
it,.... through a carrier ferret (already exposed to it) that I got from
another breeder.  He never had contact with my other ferrets, but he was in
the same room, in a seperate cage.  Then the rest of them got it,
counter-clock-wise around the room, from cage to cage.

It seems that each individual ferret handles the virus on a different level,
I've had one or two have it for a day, and then were fine.  While I still
have two that won't totally get better.  And for me it's been since the end
of May. And there seems to always be set backs, meaning that their stool will
go from firm or solid one day to lumpy or jello like the next, and then back
again.

I've treated mine with CEFA-drops, and as for the side effects of Antibiotics
(all us girls know this!)  I feed them a little bit of Yogurt (w/ the
Asidopholis, Sp?), to give them back some good yeast.  Also mixed in with the
yogurt is Nutrical, chicken baby food, and a ground up folic acid tablet.
 Folic acid isn't toxic, and it aids the stomach lining, wich is another one
of the Greenies Meanies.....
Deterioration of the stomach lining.

I asked quite a while back for advice on the Greenies, I would still be VERY
interested in hearing what our FML vets know, or what their opinions are.
 What would they suggest as a medication, and if there is any new treatments,
or break throughs on figuring this thing out.

To Georgette:  Re: Jeffers catalog.

The Jeffers catalog is pretty good, price wise. But there isn't too much in
there for ferrets per say, except the sale of Fervac distemper shots. Some of
the stuff is what we use for our ferrets! Not specific ferret products :-)

Through the Jeffers is how I get my Fromm-D distemper shots, Linitone,
Nutrical, Shampoos, etc.  basiclly all the stuff you can get at a pet store
(besides the shots) but a little cheaper.
A $50 order or over are free of Shipping and handleing.
If your interested in ordering the catalog its free, and it's a free call to
order one....... easy to remember too! ------>  1-800-JEFFERS
By the way they are located in Dothan, AL.
They also have a fax number incase anyone is interested its..
1-205-793-5179

Well take care all, Hug your ferrets!

Michelle and The MASKeteers:-)