From:
Samantha Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 11:49:53 +1200
I just want to add a little about Kodo.  I've been rooting for Kodo since
the beginning, and sending e-mail off to this or that person in an attempt
to get Kodo freed.  Kodo *must* be released, and we must have faith that he
*will* be released.  Not only is the future treatment of ferrets an issue
here, since this is being looked upon as a precedent-setting case, but the
rights of *us* as ferret owners is an issue too!  This is a big issue, with
people from around the world writing in with support for Kodo.  Should this
case be lost, what does that say about the American Constitution?  Come on
guys, I don't even live in America and I know that with the overwhelming
support that Kodo is receiving, the case should be dismissed!  The rabies
tests have been done to a standard higher than that expected for other
domestic animals (cats and dogs), Kodo has survived *long* past the time
when a rabid ferret would have died - without showing *any* signs of
illness!  A severe miscarriage of justice is being performed, right in front
of our noses!  Where are the media (besides the coverage of WNEM TV 5 and
papers such as Bay City Times)?  There should be media coverage every day!
I should be able to see mention of Kodo's progress on the news in New
Zealand, with the numbers of supporters world-wide!  The more publicity
there is on this, the more likely a (landmark) decision will be made, and
the lives of Kodo and future ferrets can be saved!  Now, I know I'm
preaching to the converted.  I know you're all behind Kodo 110% (and some
200%).  I know many of you have rushed out, and *are* rushing out to donate
funds toward Kodo's legal costs.  The FML has done a superb job already, but
the pressure needs to stay on the beaurocrats that caused this problem in
the first place!  This is not a game, it's Kodo's life on the line!

I'm all for donating money, and where you can, give it!  Yet, where
possible, donate your time too.  Write your e-mails, and snail-mails, make
your phone calls, put up your Kodo posters.  For those who have them, wear
the badges and t-shirts, put your bumper stickers all over your car
(especially those with upper-class cars (BMW/Mazzerati...)!  Anyone with new
suggestions or e-mail addresses, post them on the FML so others can follow
your example.

Sgt Dookdook, I salute you for your dedication.  Not many would be willing
to put in the miles to answer a million phone calls and handle the constant
stress that Kodo's situation has brought up.

Okay, I've said enough, and probably annoyed a few people in the process,
which I generally don't like doing, but I felt this all needed to be said.
(Actually, I've been busy writing in to the FML today...lots of topics to
cover, I guess) You guys have been doing great, just keeping Kodo alive as
long as you have.  I guess all I'm saying is to keep on going, don't lose
hope.  Kodo is still alive, and will hopefully be released soon.

Sam