From:
Kevin Gifford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:29:05 -0500
Hello FML,

I'm pretty much at the point where I don't believe anything I read on
the FML about any personal situation, but I think the fact that the list
still has almost-monthly arguments about private breeders proves that the
ferret community still has a long way to go with regards to education.
Legislation, perhaps, but education, definitely.

Back a few months ago a lady I know got a ferret in from a private
breeder (not saying who as it doesn't matter for this discussion).  I
was interested in going the private-breeder route myself sometime in the
future, so I wanted to see what sort of ferret she got.  The result was
a little disappointing.  The ferret she picked was mostly off-white, with
a mostly black tail and a meandering brown stripe running down his back,
and he was remarkably small for a male.  He was already neutered and
descented at 8 weeks, and other than an assurance that no inbreeding has
occurred, there was no pedigree information or disease history for his
family.  (The way I see it, a pedigree isn't some kind of border pass
required only if I want to show the animal -- it's a roadmap of that
animal's health prospects, and it's a requirement if I want to make an
intelligent decision on any private-breeder animal.)

I'm no expert in ferret genetics, but I (think I) know enough to be leery
about the long-term health of ferrets with odd coloring like this.  It's
been demonstrated by studies and a lot of anecdotal evidence that really
far-out coloring on a ferret is often a sign of congenital defects or
predisposition to certain diseases.  Couple that with the early
neutering/descenting and the lack of pedigree information, and I can't
help but wonder why the lady went through the extra time and expense to
get a ferret from this breeder -- especially when the local pet shops
have lots of wacky-color, early-neuter, no-history ferrets available.
(She's happy with her purchase, by the way, partly because I've kept my
concerns to myself.  I don't feel like raining on her parade now, after
all.)

I mean, adoption's one thing.  You see a ferret and you fall in love with
it, and you're willing to shoulder all the costs involved with that
ferret in the future.  But if you're shelling out for a private breeder,
the idea's to get an animal you'll be able to spend as much productive
and enjoyable time with as possible, right?  Not to get an animal who
looks different from everyone else.  But that does seem to be the
motivation of many customers -- and some breeders seem happy to oblige
them at the expense of their own stock's health.

We as ferret owners have a responsibility to promote ferret welfare.
I volunteer a fair bit of time locally toward ferret education and
awareness, and I hope the USDA comments have a positive effect.  However,
I also think we have a responsibility to teach people what a proper
ferret -is- in the first place, which in turn will help them make more
intelligent private-breeding decisions.  Otherwise, those against new
USDA standards and other laws are going to use that "giving the consumer
what they want" defense for years to come, and we'll have little to say
in response.