From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:54:17 -0400
Ferrets get Influenza A and tehy get bacterial sinus infections (which
can seem like colds.  They do NOT get regular colds which are caused by
rhinovirus (to the woe of pharmaceuticals who would love them as an
animal model).  See vet texts and pst posts in the FML and FHL Archives
on this since I am only repeating what vet pathologists have said.

Here is a past Bruce Williams post about strep throat:

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG1223
 and
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG3637

which say in part:

>However, Strep pyogenes is mildly infective for ferrets, but not
>especially so.  I would suggest good sanitation and hygiene here, and
>you should be OK.
>
>Streptococcus is infectious for a wide variety of mammals, but it will
>take quite a major exposure or injection of the organisms into the
ferret to result in clinical disease.

and