From:
"M. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:14:45 -0500
>What is too fat in a ferret?  I have a BIG ferret that seems a little out
>of shape due to him not getting the long walks he used to get.  At least
>this is what I think is the problem.  Or could it be that he is just
>putting on winter weight?  Do ferrets do this?

My Furrity has gotten more than pleasantly plump since I went back to work
at the office and he has nothing to do all day long.  He has also lost
almost all of his dark fur.  He is almost completely white now.  His fur
is incredibly soft, and he feels sooo good, but I am worried about his
plumpness (very wide girth .  .  .  okay fat).  I am now feeding him
Totally Ferret for older ferrets because it has less fat in it.  Furrity
has always been a lap ferret, but he has also done his share of war dances
and dooking.  He is very hard to get rowled up these days.  I also have a
"new" little ferret, Sam-I-Am, who is as skinny as Furrity is plump.  Sam
has loads of energy, runs, jumps, dooks, hisses, and screams.  He always
has "that look on his face." You know that look.  The old "What can I get
into next?" look.  He is not a lap ferret, although he does give kisses.
Sam came to me on Christmas Day from my stepdaughter who could no longer
keep him because she moved into a new house that does not allow pets.  I
told her she will not be getting him back, as we have fallen in love with
him.  Furrity will play with Sam some.  They fight (Sam screams when
Furrity is not even biting him!  He "cries wolf!") and chase each other,
but Furrity is not very fast any more, and he doesn't last as long.  He is
soon ready to go back to bed!  Regarding Furrity's plump problem: I would
be interested in any and all answers to Ray's questions above.

Thanks and God Bless,
Melanie, Furrity, and Sam-I-Am