From:
"Donna L. Carlsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:34:06 EST
This is the last posting I will have on the FML.

I AM A LEGITIMATE SHELTER.
Apparently, some of us were upset at my last posting about shelters IN
GENERAL.  I stated that I had witnessed "hosing down" of cages to be
cleaned.  I have previously heard from other shelters of this practice, and
also from owners, and had witnessed it at the home of a FOSTER FERRET HOME.
I DID NOT, NOR INTENDED TO, PUT THE 'OTHER SHELTER' IN A BAD LIGHT.  But
apparently, now I am in that bad light.

Yes, I had problems a few months back.  I had incurred a large bill and in
order to repay it was being pressured to sell my home.  I have since
decided that my shelter and the ferrets that occupy it were more important.

Yes, I had surrendered a few ferrets to another local shelter.  I thought
that I had someone who cared in my corner, to help me out.  I also had the
support of the local club, and currently have a wonderful vet who is at
this moment caring for three ferrets that were recently surrendered and who
needed medical care.

I have just taken in six ferrets in the past week.  They all need medical
attention.

As for the ferrets I currently have, THEY ARE NOT MY OWN PERSONAL FERRETS.
They are ferrets that were surrendered or abandoned that I have kept as
permanent residents for different reasons, one of them being that they need
constant medical care, like the one I just had put to sleep.

MY PERSONAL FERRETS PASSED AWAY IN 1997.  It is because of them that I run
a shelter.  I run a shop to raise funds for that shelter, which seemed like
the perfect setup, a shelter that paid for itself.

As for the "other" shelter, I was very pleased to hear that there was
help for me and for Vegas.  I was told that the shelter operator was
"intimidated", so I did not contact her.  I did so shortly thereafter, on
the suggestion of the local club.  I was just involved with the club, and
if I recall I had helped that shelter out, with a cage donation, and items
such as hammocks, and numerous referrals.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVOR.  You now have the support of the local shelter
and it's members.  I remember having that once.

Please don't take that post in the wrong way.  I am in contact with many
shelters around the country, and have ferret "moms" in town who care for
ferrets much like a shelter.  To them, I am grateful.

As for the post in response to that, thank you for the vote of confidence,
and for putting me in a bad light on the internet.

I HAVE SUPPORTERS THAT I HAVE MET ON THE INTERNET WHO DON'T EVEN KNOW ME.
Now I fear that they feel they have been "fooled".  Believe me, you have
not.  I pride myself on being an honest, clean, and friendly environment
both for the ferret and the ferret owner.  I too have the support of many
local vets, and the entertainment community for which I was a part of for
many years previous.  I'm not sure about the local club anymore.

Oh, and I hosed down a few cages in my backyard last night.  My reputation
as a shelter and a business owner was ruined long before this.  For that,
I thank you.

The ferrets thank you, too.

Angel Ferret Shelter and RESIDENTS: Cosmo, Casper, Googie, Fei-Fu, Buddy,
Mystie, Oliver and AVAILABLES: Lucy, Sissy, Avatar, Sonya, and UNDECIDED:
Yukon, B.J. and Hawkeye.
HATE MAIL WELCOME