From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:26:07 PDT
Hugs to those who have lost a fuzzy (to the bridge or to the great
outdoors).

I would sure love to know where it states that if you have been asked to
judge (I think the actual words used were "in demand") it makes you an
"expert" or that you are acknowledged as an expert.  This is simply NOT
the case.  I emailed Vickie about what is required to become a judge for
AFA, and although the requirements were more than adequate, I certainly
did not feel that it made a person an expert on ferrets.  Judges pay money
to become part of the circle, perhaps all on this list were not aware of
that.  I am not belittling the AFA at all with these statements, but with
so much new information constantly coming out about ferretry, one could not
possibly be an expert nor an acknowledged expert.  Please, reality check.
I suppose I could say I am an expert because I meet all the requirements to
become a judge, too.  It does not make you an expert nor an acknowledged
expert.  Please show me where it is stated that anyone on this list
(besides vets) have been acknowledged experts.  Then we go into the whole
thing of defining what part of ferretry you are an acknowledged expert in.
I have seen tons of breeders claim to be "acknowledged experts" and these
are some of the same breeders that have been discussed unfavorably on this
list.  If one is going to make such bold statements, you need to verify the
information, otherwise it is as good as somebody telling me that because
they have changed the oil in their car (or several cars), they are an
expert mechanic.

I also believe that Vickie Mckimmey is telling the truth on the removal
or non-renewal of judges.  She has no reason to lie about such and I have
spoken to many other people who witnessed what Vickie has referred to.  Why
would so many people say the same thing?  Is it a conspiracy?  Not likely.

I would also like to know about this lawsuit that has been filed against
AFA for such.  Does it exist?  Awhile back I was accused of making up a
whole bunch of stuff about contacting the FBI because of the harassment I
sustained.  BIG was inquisitive about my case but I was told not to share
the information.  I can now.  Unfortunately, with the lack of laws that
govern Internet usage, there was not much I could do.  However, one can
still file a report (both with the local FBI and also Virginia) and they
will keep all of it on file for future reports of violations.  This means
that anyone who sends threats or suggests that others "run you over with a
bus" or shoot you (has happened on other newsgroups) or constantly harasses
you via email after you have requested they stop, will be kept on file with
all IP addresses they have used.  If it happens again, the authorities can
and will take action.  Make sure you copy all messages with headers
attached.

This is my advice to anyone who is being harassed by another on the
Internet.  There are ways to prevent it from happening in the future.
Just my advice for those of you who have had this problem.

I do think that if there is a lawsuit against AFA it would be wise to NOT
discuss it on the FML - anything said could be used against you in a court
of law and could hinder the case.

Vickie has done a great job with AFA and I commend her for her efforts.
She is very thorough and fair, and until today, I have never heard anything
bad about her.

For future reference: it might be a good idea for the AFA to place
camcorders at each judging table so that there is never a question as to
who did what.  This way, judges can be removed from their duties with
recorded evidence.  I believe Vickie and the many witnesses and
complaintants (there were several not just one) but these people have
chosen to remain anonymous because of the backlash.  Not a surprise
considering how much "hoopla" these things create.

I am sure that anyone who flames me over these comments, will be the same
repeat offenders who have done so in the past.  I await the messages (LOL).

Oh no, there goes another sock!  Gotta go.