From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:56:32 -0800
I recently adopted a little ferret from our local Humane Society that
has a space in one of our area Petsmart Stores. While they have use of
this facility they must follow Petsmart rules and protocol.

The ferret was caged in a class end case with a hammie, food, water, a
bell ball, litter box, fleece and was in this disgusting bedding that
clung to his fleece blanket. They gave me the blanket which I couldn't
get this crap off so I pitched it. He is doing great and happy to have
a new home with space, and everything a ferret could want.

I am wondering if you can tell me what his bedding is and how healthful
or harmful it is to the ferrets. I am a foster mom for ferrets with the
Humane Society now as well as a volunteer in another site. I am trying
to get the administration to open their eyes a bit wider and encourage
them to place the ferrets where staff and vollies are more ferret
nowledgeable, the facility allows for exercise outside a cage, and the
ferrets find well placed homes more quickly.

The material looks like a gray corrugated cardboard that is ground
up, but I do not know if that is what it is. I gathered a bit off the
fleece. It looks like a bedding for rats, hamsters and gerbils that
they might have chewed up if they found cardboard and newspaper to make
a nest. It appears to breakdown into tiny single fibers which seem to
me a bad thing for the ferrets' respiratory system or tummies should
they choose to eat any. I will ask my vet about it tomorrow when we
see him, but any additional facts and or references, resources would
be greatly appreciated to help these mustelids end up in a healthier
bedding/litter. It is all about education! The head administrator is a
lover and expert for reptiles and they can only be adopted and housed
out of the main headquarters so why can't ferrets be sent to a specific
store/site that is best for the ferrets and their futures?????

They have come a long way over the years, but they still have a long
way to go. Fortunately, they do not see a ton of ferrets. I'm thinking
they do not know the difference between mustelids and rodents.

Thanks for any facts and info you are able to provide. I just heard
today they want the new ferrets that have come in to go to this store
instead of the "more ferret appropriate facility." I therefore must get
started on my campaign and have not yet had time to go back and find
out what kind of bedding this is, so thanks for the help to get me
started.

Cathy Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3