Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:46:44 EST
This past weekend my ferret, Tasslehoff Burrfoot, achieved his lifelong
ambition and escaped into the outdoors.  It seems the bolt on the front door
became stuck and didn't latch properly.  Tass, always one to dig and pull
and the doors, managed to open it.  We have no idea what his status is.  We
hope for the best but fear the worst.  We live in the country where there
are many roaming cats and dogs.  We also have owls around the neighborhood.
I have placed bedding, food, and a "safe-trap" outside in hopes he will come
around.

As a relative newcomer to the FML, I realize the following questions may
have already been addressed in the past, but I would appreciate any help.
Here are my questions:

 1.  What are the chances of a ferret surviving in the wild?  Here in
     northern VA, it is still pretty cold at night (about 35 or 40).  Could
     he handle that?

 2.  Ever heard of a ferret coming back after an extended period of
     time?  I doubt Tass would (or could?) backtrack.  Like other ferrets,
     he was much to curious to stay put.  Also, what could he do for food?
     The only food he ever ate was kitten food and some Honey Nut Cheerios
     as an occasional snack.  We tried to get him to try other things but
     he would never eat it.  He even disliked linatone and ferrtone (sp?)
     which I hear was odd.  Hey, that's a ferret for you!

I have of course put up signs, called vets and shelters, and searched for
hours on end.  I guess I am just hoping for a miracle.  We miss terribly and
the house is so quiet without him.  I won't go into all the fun things he
did, for you all know the joy they bring.

Another question: how long do ferrets normally for?  I have heard about 7
years.  Tass was a little over 5.  He showed no signs of slowing down and
never had a cold, flu or such.  I was hoping to have him for many, many more
years to come.  Life can be so cruel.

Any help or input you care to give would be appreciated.  My home address is
[log in to unmask] or I can be reached at work at [log in to unmask]
Thank you.

We miss you Tass!

Dave & Judy Prescott