From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 1994 22:13:14 -0500
Hi all,

I was watching T.V. saterday, a program called "Wild Side" at 2:30pm EST, And
saw a very interesting show.
It was about a Dr. I think his name was Dr. Roesell, anyways, He is concerned
about the spread of Rabies and is devising a new method of immunizing
raccoons in the wild.
The first step was a bait, 3 main ingredients were Marshmellows, Oleo, and
Tetra Cyclene (Sp?).
These baits looked like small bars of soap and were dropped out of a plane by
the thousands over a very large area.
Next he set about 150 live traps to catch the Raccoons.  He then gave the
caut critter's a mild sedative, and the vaccine IMRAB.....Hmmm!
He would then remove a tooth from the raccoon, wich was then sent to the lab
and looked at under a microscope, looking for yellow lines on the tooth, wich
Tetra Cyclene causes.  Thus prooving that the Raccoon's would and do eat the
bait.
Now he is developing a form of rabies immunization in a Oral form to put in
the bait.  Wich would enable them to treat a large area quickly.
I just found it interesting that he used IMRAB produced by Rhone Merieux, and
that the development of a oral rabies immunization bait is potentially a good
way to help stop the spread of rabies in the wild.
Did any one else catch this show??

Michelle and The MASKeteer's:-)