From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:27:05 -0400
Hi, all-I've missed you!  I'm back from the honeymoon, and when I get
my wedding pics back in September or October, I can't wait to share the
photos of me in my wedding dress with my ferts!

I have a few items of news: I work at the Worcester Cat Hospital and Bird
Clinic in MA and have a "deal" with the Worc.  Rescue League to help them
place any ferrets they get in (they have a hard time doing so).  They
have two right now-one was turned in by some people who were done with
her as a pet :(, and one was rescued from an attic.  I took them both in
to get physicals and shots and CEP ADV tests today (will get those
results soon).

2.  While we were there, the little girl who was turned in by her owners
was terrified and while she was being held up towards the end of the
visit, bit the doctor in her fear of falling (didn't break the skin).
She did not lunge and was not aggressive; it was purely a fear reaction.
(She was trembling the entire time we were at the vet.) She has not
bitten anyone since nor has she tried.  I am trying to see if the Rescue
League can get a better vaccine history from her former owners to see if
she has a current rabies vaccine.  The problem is that my hubbie is not a
fan of the idea of my keeping two ferrets while I try to find them homes
(we are currently very short on space and are renovating the upstairs,
where our guys normally are), so I was going to be bringing these babies
back to the Rescue League (no-kill for healthy animals, and they call me
and wait for me to help before euthanizing any sick ferrets) once they
were PEd, vaccinated and ADV-tested till I or they could find them a
home.

I am afraid to bring the girl that bit the doctor back to the R.L. b/c I
am afraid they will put her down instead of just quarantining her.  She
had been there for a few weeks without exhibiting any signs of rabies,
and my DVM feels a quarantine period would be enough.  Can anyone help me
by quarantining her?  Our hospital is very small and too full of sickies
right now for me to keep her there...

She will also need a permanent home; perhaps someone willing to adopt her
would be willing to rabies quarantine her?  She needs a 10-day quarantine
until her 10-day recheck at least.

She is a 2-year-old (in October) spayed female, light sable, very petite,
very cute.  She is healthy and we are waiting for her ADV test results
and will be able to vaccinate her at the end of her quarantine.  I will
get a better answer as to vaccine hx hopefully tomorrow.  No other
adverse medical history, No mites, no worms or parasites.  She has
otherwise been a sweetheart-she was just scared at the DVM, though I have
been smart enough not to put my face in her face.  I think she just needs
love and a STABLE, FOREVER home.

3. The other young little girl, whom I have named Shannon for the moment,
b/c it sounded better than "841", which is what the R.L.  was calling her
till she's adopted b/c they don't know her name, is all set to be adopted
once her ADV test results come back, unless someone out there is missing
a female ferret and can describe her.

IF YOU ARE MISSING YOUR FEMALE FERRET IN THE WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS
AREA, PLEASE CONTACT ME TO DESCRIBE HER.  She is very sweet and seems
to maybe have come from a decent home-she may have just escaped and not
been able to get home or be found.  Otherwise, if you are interested in
adopting her, she is a love, and I will then describe her to you.

Perhaps both girls could go together-until their ADV tests come back, I'm
not testing to see if they get along-I am keeping them as well as my guys
all separate until I know for sure.  They are not known ECE carriers.

I would love to be able to keep them, but I have not been able to talk my
hubby into more than three animals yet (not counting the fish...), even
though he loves the ferts and they were his idea...

Please help!

-April Armstrong Campbell