From:
Lonny Eachus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2014 20:13:06 -0800
I made a rice box for my Fred that works quite well. We play "hide the
treat" once in a while and he enjoys it.

It is a plastic storage box with lid, about 2 feet long and 1.5 feet
high and 1.5 feet wide. (Approximately... I do not recall exactly.)

In the bottom is about 6 inches of rice. I used plain polished,
uncooked long grain white rice. Surprisingly, this is about 16 pounds
of rice or maybe even a bit more. I got a 20-pound bag from my local
wholesale store.

That's about it. People make variations on this theme but that is all
that is really necessary. I leave the lid off when the box is in use.
Some people like to occasionally swap out the rice for the EDIBLE kind
of shipping peanuts, for variety.

The rice can last a long time as long as they don't soil it. I've had
mine for a few years now.

Your fuzzies might ingest a little rice in the process of digging or
munching treats, but it passes right through them without harm. That's
why it's important to use the hard uncooked rice.

Lonny Eachus