From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 15:14:20 -0400
Re: Three-headed monster
>Of course I'd just finished the roll of film in the camera the day before.
>Like Eric tells us every month, you've gotta be a full-time photographer
>to get the good shots.  But I've got my memories....

Ain't that the truth!!  ;) With the ferrets I go through rolls of film to
get a handful of really excellent shots.  (One of my secrets is to take
pictures in the morning, shortly after getting up.  The ferrets all come
out from their sleeping places to be cute and play.  Since they just woke
up too, they aren't moving warp 11 yet and so you have a chance to get
something other then the blur of a zooming weasel on film.  'Sides, morning
light is quite lovely for pictures.)

Of course, much of this is true for human children as well.

Re: Tornados and ferrets in Kansas
>Last night funnel clouds were 5 miles south of us.  We got some heavy
>winds, lots of rain, and some hail.  The back enclosure was a pond and the
>south side of the basement (the only section that leaks) flooded a bit....
>...The only animal I know that is not frightened of storms is the ferret,
>instead they enjoy the energy.  :-)

Glad to hear the devastation missed you!

I've been spending a lot of time at work doing disaster recovery planning
lately and I've come across a lot of different and really useful
information on emergency preparedness planning.  One thing which people
don't always remember is to include their pets into their plans for when a
disaster strikes.  If you are interested in doing that, the library at the
FEMA website might help.  The library's URL is http://www.fema.gov/library
The animal section is specifically http://www.fema.gov/library/lib02.htm

I highly recommend checking out information the FEMA site.  It could help
you and the members of your family (both 2 and 4 legged) in an emergency.

BTW, according to a disclaimer at the FEMA site, the information on their
website is "public information and may be distributed or copied." They only
request you use the appropriate byline/photo/image credits.  Those that
publish ferret newsletters may wish to keep this in mind.

And I do agree. The ferrets do seem to *thrive* on the energy of storms!

A baby in the family:
Unlike a number of new parents, I'm posting here to say we had a baby and
are keeping our ferrets!! :)  Our bundle of joy is named Robin and he was
born in January.

As with any animal and small children, we supervise the contact.  Each
ferret responds a little differently.  Squirt idlely sniffs him and walks
off.  Pippi regularly sniffs him...a sort of a greeting.  Rosie usually is
far to playful to allow much contact.  She is an ankle-biter who is
*constantly* teasing to play.  'Jinx sniffs him and we usually interrupt
it there since she is a bit nippy with bare skin.  Lastly there is "Barney
Beagle" aka Atlas.  When I was little, we were read a story about Barney
Beagle who was jealous of the Boy's new kitten.  Atlas is Barney and he is
pretty much banned from contact with Robin.  Since Atlas is our problem
child, we expected him to be the biggest problem we might have.  It will
pass in time, but until then we'll have to be careful.

And it's great to be reading the FML again!! I was unsubscribed for a
while and it is good to be back!! :)

-kim, squirt, pippi, atlas, jinx, and rosie

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.