From:
Ann and Howard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 14:50:57 -0500
 Apropos Chris Lewis's posting re Totally Ferret:

>>Totally Ferret was warned three times by me about excessive advertising on
the FML.  He simply didn't seem to "get it" about advertising on the net
using private resources<<

... Personally, I am equally offended by Alan Braunstein's efforts to use the
FML as an advertising platform for the AFA, first in FML 1058--

>>I would like to share another source of valuable information with all of
the ferret enthusiasts..the American Ferret Association Newsletter...If you
are interested in joining the AFA...  [etc. BIG] <<

and again (same issue):

>>In fact, maybe Bill will consider posting this info in the header of the
FML along with the standard info that is always there...  [etc. BIG] <<

---and yet again in FML 1072, with:

>> I was wondering if Jeff or anyone else knows where this letter
originated as I would like to forward it to the American Ferret
Association (AFA) for the upcoming newletter...In addition, if anyone
has poems, letters, articles, or other items you would like to have
[possibly] published in the AFA Newsletter, please forward a copy to
me<<.

Alan, I think it is inappropriate to use this forum to hawk the AFA
newsletter and AFA memberships.  Especially when the AFA boasts Marshall
Farms is one of its prominent ring sponsors and receives various kinds of
valuable considerations from them.  It should be obvious by now that many
FMLers  have strong feelings about Marshall Farms and its treatment of
ferrets.

Howard Davis

[ Moderator's note:  I don't really regard Alan's notes to be wholesale
advertising.  I will not put the AFA info in the header - I told Alan
that already - but if the AFA wants to publish pieces of the FML in their
newsletter that's OK provided proper credit is given to the author and
to the FML.  Some people like the AFA, some people don't... but I'm not
going to ban the letters A-F-A from the FML regardless of where I stand
on the issue provided the posts are informational and not hype.  At times
it's a fine line of course, and although the note in issue 1058 was a bit
questionable, it was also the first post of this sort so I let it through.
BIG]