Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:51:39 -0500
To Penny--

My oh my!  Now I guess we can all see how collector's might begin!!  Great
to know you have found your number!  We must as owners, caretakers, take
measures to put out feet down, or to stand up for ourselves and our pets
or -- soon there are 20 some odd ferrets in need of vet care.  I bet you
can relate to this!!, or have seen it.

There is a problem with ferret ownership, not uncommon to other species of
companion pets, always folks tire of responsibility.  Unfortunately many
folks with great big hearts end up condemned because they could not bear
to see ferrets without a home facing death by euthanasia or other means.

So this prompts a sheltering question -- "If" you had 20-30 ferrets that no
one wanted-- they all had compromised health problems-- would it actually
be cruel to let them live without hair -- without surgery (which may or may
not cure the condition?) as long as they were eating, playing and happy?
Or is it better to let them be euthanized without sever helath compromise (
cosmetically) because you can't afford the surgery?  Many folks today would
like to hear the answers to this....

The majority of ferret shelterers are in the no-kill audience, but many
times that means that the animals they acquire require extensive medical
care-- which we all know by now, is costly.

I think I would be able to overlook an owner with an accumulated number of
ferrets -- which by the way are known to develop certain distinct cancer
conditions -- and agree the animal would be better off being loved and
cared for -- without extensive surgery, if there was a financial concern --
especially when we all know there are no "guarantees" on recovery.  I
however cannot personally condone collectorship -- and if someone truly
is a "rescuer" they need to license and register their business.  In my
*personal* opinion it is for the good of the animals!

Alicia
and her 3-4 cents worth!