From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 18:37:59 -0500
I have read all the posts on the show subject.  I am a 100% supporter of
ferret shows & I also happen to be a ferret breeder.

>Ferret shows are a great way of educating ferret owners and potential
>ferret owners, and promoting ferrets as domestic companion animals to the
>community at large.

I agree with this 100%.  We get many, many people asking questions - both
ferret owners & non-ferret owners.

>LOS-NJ will no longer permit kit sales or adoptions of any type to take
>place at it's shows or on the grounds of same.  We have discussed it
>amongst our membership, and feel that it is not an appropriate place for a
>ferret to change hands, it does not help in prevention of disease control
>and bite incidents to have a lot of strangers handling ferrets, and it is
>simply not needed.

WHAT!?!?!  Half of the ferrets I sell, I sell at ferret shows or because of
ferret shows!  Many ferrets that are in shelters are adopted out at ferret
shows!  How many of the LOS-NJ members breed ferrets?  Disease control and
bite incidents will still be an issue with the ferrets being shown!  What is
to say a "stranger" will not walk by and stick their finger in a show
ferrets cage & get bit?  That is, infact, the way most people are bit!
"Cootchie Coo!  What a cute ferret!  (Insert finger in cage by ferret's
mouth)  Ouch it bit me!"

We take pride in the fact that we discourage people that are considering
buying a ferret from buying one!  We tell them to educate themselves first.
 We have many people call us after the ferret shows and say - "Hey, thanks
for being so honest with us.  We read up and asked lots of questions at the
show and we want to come out and buy a ferret from you."

>Adoptions and sales should be handled in a more controlled environment so
>as to keep down the impulse buys and make going to a new home less stressful
>for the ferret.

I agree that the sale of a ferret is stressful for the animal.  But isn't it
stressful for a pet store ferret?  Don't people make impulse buys at pet
stores?  Even more so then at ferret shows.  At least at ferret shows the
people came to see ferrets!  I will have to sell my ferrets to pet stores
(which I do not want to do!) if sales at ferret shows stop!

>Shows need to be made more of a place for the typical ferret owner to
>socialize with other typical ferret owners, rather than a breeders showcase.
>We will however continue to encourage shelters and breeders to rent tables
>to display photos of ferrets for adoption and other informative materials.
>I hope other LOS divisions, as well as the AFA and other clubs will join in
>with us in this policy.

Socializing of ferret people should be a sepperate meeting/gathering - with
or without their ferrets!  Who has time to socialize at a ferret show when
you are trying to get your ferret in the show ring!?!?  As far as a show
being a breeders showcase - who do you think supports & funds the majority
of the ferret shows?  And all the breeders are doing is setting a standard
of quality animals and promoting the breeding of quality animals.  And how
can exhibitors educate the public while socializing?

I will NOT rent a table just to display a photo album.  I will NOT support
a show that doesn't encourage the sale or adoption of ferrets.  I will NOT
support a club that encourages this no sales/adoption thing.  I WILL
continue to put plexi-glass on the outside of my show cages so no fingers
get too close.  I WILL continue to only let very serious buyers hold my
ferrets.  I WILL continue to educate the public on ferrets (to the point
where I don't eat lunch or dinner during shows).

In the future of LOS-NJ I see not a whole lot of people supporting your
shows via lack in attendence.  How many people that own alters show them?
Most say "It's not a breeder, why should I show it?  It's just a pet." Most
of the ferrets shown are BREEDER FERRETS!  The reason we show is to promote
our ferrets, the quality animals we produce, and the ferret in general.  I
don't need to show my animals to know that they are quality.  I do need to
get them seen so I can sell my ferrets.  So do alot of breeders.