From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 10:59:10 -0700
>We do not have the right to judge anyone who has to give up their pets and

I agree.  As one who has endured this painful event (and over a year of
being judged for doing so) I know how it feels, first-hand, to reluctantly
surrender my beloved pets under conditions I could neither forsee or
control.  Last summer, following surgery for double-hernia, I was preparing
for open-heart (valve replacement) surgery.  I had contemplated (and was
making plans for) surrendering my six much-loved ferrets to the shelter I
volunteer at.  My soon-to-be ex-roommate, who also had two ferrets, talked
me out of it, saying they'd take care of my babies til I was out of the
hospital.  I was hesitant, at first, but agreed.  The day beofre I went in
for surgery, I did a thorough cleaning of their cage.  The next morning I
said my goodbyes.  A day after the surgery my roommate called to tell me
that my ferrets had been surrendered to the shelter.  I was heart-sick (no
pun intended).  I did however rest better knowing that they were in the
caring, capable hands of the shelter volunteers.  When I was well enough to
go, I was able to see the two or three that hadn't yet been adopted.  I saw
one last week.  She is doing fine, though she is blind and possibly deaf.
She is with loving caring people whom I hope will never have to give her up.
I am writing this partly as a catharsis (sp?) for myself and partly for
others who may be placed in similar extenuating circumstances.  Shelters
exist BECAUSE THERE IS A NEED.  Not all pet owners view their companions as
'throw-away commodities'.  Mine were members of my family, loved as much as
a son or daughter.  If we are to judge people for surrendering their pets to
a shelter, we should first try to walk a mile in their shoes.

>I hope that anyone of us on the FML won't feel like they can't post for new
>homes because of the way some people feel.

I think we could arrange a better forum for posting such information.  For
now, alt.pets.ferrets would seem to be the place.  In the future, with
everyone's help, rec.pets.ferrets would be happy to receive shelter
available lists.  A Call For Votes is expected on rec.pets.ferret in a few
weeks.  Your 'yes' vote will help make it a reality.

Roger McMillian
<remove 'mapson.' from my address to reply>

[Moderator's note: But I don't understand how a place like alt.pets.ferrets,
which is accessible to anyone on a whim, is a better place to look for a
home for a ferret than this dedicated list, where one has to ask to join
(and thus presumably already have an interest).  BIG]