From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 01:06:06 +0059
Folks,
     Just thought I'd add some facts to the list.

    A friend of mine (Cornell Vet '93), Ruth Heller, worked for MF doing
parasite research and the odd sterilization while still a vet student.  I
checked with her on the phone last night, and got the scoop.  (By the way,
Ruth is an avid puppy mill closer in PA, and she would never work for a
place that resorted to that sort of arrangement).

    As posted, Jills are bred 2 cycles a year, 3 if it happens that way.
All ferrets are started on food at 2 weeks, but not fully weaned until 6
weeks of age.  Neutering occurs at that time, and the jury is still out on
the affects of early neutering on dogs and cats, let alone ferrets (this is
a big debate in the vet community right now).  Ferrets are shipped at 8
weeks.

    As to socialization, Dr. Heller reports that hoards of high school and
college students are paid to handle both the breeding animals and the
babies (from 2 weeks on) to socialize them with people.  I'm not sure how
much contact they get with other ferrets outside their own litter.

    Hope this helps with some of the controversy.  I do have permission
from Dr.  Heller to pass on her words (in paraphrase), and a wish that she
had access to this list.

-Dr. Karen