From:
Caterina Venturelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:27:40 PST
Dear FML friends,

I always have asked for advice to you when things with my fuzzy does not go
too well, and always have received wonderful tips and explanations, that is
why I am very thankful to you and I trust you very much.

This time my Gigio (MF, male, siamese, 9 months) has been eating very
few.  I already posted about this about 2 months ago but that time Gigio
had one or two days of eating just once a day, but the other days, he
started eating more, also he had days of more activity and other days when
he just wanted to sleep, there were no other symptoms, so I get used to his
behavior.  Last week I noticed that his stools were very thin and in a very
small amount.  I started to worry because I thought of a partial blockage,
so I gave him during 3 mornings his hairball remedy, but still there was no
improvement, he continued to have very thin stools.  There were no other
symptoms of blockage, he was not vomiting, he was drinking, playing a lot
and he was ready to eat everything he likes (papaya, banana, ferret treats,
cream etc I always give him one of this things to him but just in a "treat
proportion" never as primary meal), everything except his mix of kibbles;
Ferret Diet-IAMS-Science Diet.  He visited his food bowl just once or two
a day but for short periods of time.  Five days like this and he started
getting thin and lighter, I was ready to take him to the vet but then I
realized that he could eat his kibbles if I gave them to him in my hand,
or after petting him for a long time, when I managed to make him eat his
normal food 2-3 times a day, I noticed that his stools were normal in form
and amount again, so definitely I would discard a blockage, I think that
this was because he didn t eat enough food.  But now here is the problem
and the question.  Could it be that he has become that spoiled that he only
want to eat treats instead of his food?  Or if he eats his food is only
after "begging" him to eat, giving him the food with my hand?  I start
having the feeling that he is doing this purposely wanting extra care, like
a spoiled child that does not want to eat vegetables and only wants ice
cream.  I tried not giving him any treat during the day and indeed he gets
very disappointed and does not want to play and even if he is hungry (I
know he is because he gets very interested in our food, or if he smells
fruit or something he likes he gets mad about it), does not want to eat
enough of his food.  Last 2 days I have been very close to him making him
eat his food, he looks in a better weight now, but has not changed his
acctitude .  What can I do with such a boy?

Best regards,
Caterina