From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:22:57 -0600
SCIENTIFIC DONATIONS:

When my ferrets die, for ANY reason, I donate their bodies to the local
vet school so others can learn ferret anatomy in animals that have not
been preserved.  It also allows them the opportunity to make slides and
look at microscopy pathology.  This doesn't bother me in the slightest --
I've donated my organs for transplants and my skeleton to the Smithsonian
for research purposes.  If you want the remains returned for burial, this
can also be done IF you make it a requirement for donation; I have the
remains of my ferrets returned so their skeletons can be donated for
research.  I gain great satisfaction knowing my ferrets gave me a life of
affection and also help give future vets the anatomical knowledge they
need to help other ferrets.  That is a great comfort to me.

BURIAL:

In most cases, a simple burial in the backyard is appropriate.  However,
I can think of two situations where burial in the backyard is unwise or
inappropriate.  If your ferret has died of an infectious disease, burying
those individuals can infect the backyard environment if not done
properly.  If the grave is too shallow or can be opened by scavengers,
you run the risk of spreading infectious contaminants, perhaps sickening
other ferrets or animals.  Honestly, these risks are small in most cases;
just be aware of them.  A far worse problem is taking care of ferret
remains from shelters.

When you bury your ferret in your back yard, it is normally ignored as a
health risk from local governments.  However, a large shelter can produce
a lot of dead ferrets, and depending on the number that die per year,
local ordinances can kick in.  A government that ignores a couple of
ferrets in a few years can suddenly become concerned about a dozen or
more ferrets each year.  There is justification for such concerns; that
many carcasses could pollute local groundwater, the risks of spreading
disease to other mammals is significantly higher, and a large number of
carcasses can attract insect pests.

Cremation is a viable alternative to both situations, but it is
expensive, especially in the numbers faced by large shelters.  Large
shelters probably should contact their local public health officials
about local ordinances.  While it is impersonal, it may be possible
to have shelter ferrets cremated for reduced prices at local pet
crematoriums operated by animal control.

In most cases, backyard burials can be safely done if you follow a few
simple rules.  First, check local ordinances to make sure the burials are
legal and safe; you do NOT want to pollute your groundwater!  Make sure
the grave is deep enough -- at least 2 to 3 feet deep.  If your ferret
died of an infectious disease, seal the remains in a couple of ziplock
bags before burial.  If a lot of ferrets are going into the backyard in
a relatively short period of time, you can safely speed decomposition by
mixing septic tank treatment (commercially prepared bacteria) with water
and saturating the bottom of the empty grave.  Cover the remains with 6
to 10 inches of soil, and then saturate the layer of dirt with the
treatment before covering the grave.

CLEANING THE CAGE:

After a death, cleaning the cage for the next occupant is a simple task.
In cases where the cause of death was noninfectious, a simple cleaning
with bleach is all that is required.  All paper waste is removed and
tossed out; I don't try to save anything.  All the cage furniture is
placed in the diaper pan to soak in a bleach solution.  Fabric objects
are bags for laundering.  I spray down the cage with a fresh bleach
solution, let it soak for 5 minutes, then wipe it down and let it air
dry.  I then take it outside for a few days to sanitize in the sunshine
(if I don't have another ferret that needs it).  The cage table is
cleaned with bleach solution.

For infectious ferrets, I clean the cage and table with a hospital-grade
germicide, allow it to completely dry, and then follow with a second
cleaning with bleach.  These procedures are generally more conservative
than those used by many hospitals, but it gives me peace of mind knowing
that I will not be assisting the evolution of super bugs.

Bob C