From:
Tony O'Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:21:04 -0000
This posting is not to have a go at anyone and therefore i do not wish any
one to have a go at me, i have deleted the name of the street and the area
in which it happend.  Anyone having a go at me will be ignored

I had a couple of guys come to my place to buy some of my ferret, they
kept on about buying my jills and kittens, but all I had for sale was one
hob.  These guys kept on about my ferrets and the other pets, I felt
uneasy about them, but put it out of my mind

These guys told me they knew lots about ferrets and were members of a
National Ferret Welfare Group, I could not prove or disapprove this
point has I had never heard of it at the time.  This all happened
sometime after 1972

One evening a few days later I had all of my ferrets, chinchillas, cavies
and rabbits stolen.  I phoned the police and all they had to say was they
are only animals, why all the fuss.  At least twice a day I would phone
the police asking about my animals with no luck.  I started to phone
around asking if anyone had ferret kits for sale and from one guy who had
had ferrets from me before, I found out that a guy who lived off the
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, had just got himself a new hob and was saying in the pub
that he had made some money, selling some chinchillas.

I got the guys name and went into the police station to say that I now had
the name and address of the guy, it matched with the name of the guy who
had bought my hob.  For the next seven days, I went to the police station
and sat on a bench, to make the same complaint that my ferrets and other
animals had been stolen, for the same seven days I made the same statement
to the same policeman, in the end I asked if I could talk to his superior,
with results that the PC and a WPC went to the house had a look and only
found two ferrets on the premises.

They came to my place and asked if I could identify my animals as all
they had found was two white ferrets.  I was taken to a terraced house and
into a back yard with only one hutch in it.  I was asked to identify the
animals.  As soon as I stepped into the yard all I said was "That is one
of my ferret".  Then came the questions how could I prove it, "easy" so
how.  I asked for the ferrets to be placed on the ground, with the other
person at one side of the yard and me at the other.  All I said to the
new owner was "If it is you ferret call it", with shaking of keys and
rattling of food dished the ferret just looked at him as if he was stupid.
The cop said OK smart ares you call it, which I did.

The ferret were brought into the court room and the judge asked us both to
prove the white ferret was ours, so I gave the one who had stolen Fuzzey a
chance to go first, Fuzzey looked at the guy as though he was stupid, even
though he was trying to make the ferret call I use, then it was my turn
and I asked for Cuddles and Fuzzey to be put on the floor together, they
decided to have a fight, but as soon as I made my ferret call they started
to dance around as ferrets do when they are happy and it took them both
about ten seconds to star climbing up my legs.

The case was closed.

The result was that I got all my ferrets back, with compensation which he
had to pay for all the other animals that he had sold on, he got fine and
a prison term for theft.

I do not give up on my ferrets

Tony, SMWR inc. NHFA Site founder, manager, moderator.
http://www.geocities.com/houseferrets13uk/index.html
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/house-ferrets
http://communities.msn.com/UKHouseFerretsSmallPetsAssociation/
Member of http://communities.msn.co.uk/MyNorwegianFerretFamily
Articles written for National Magazine, http://www.redpublishing.net/paws/
The views expressed in these postings are my own.  Any one who wishes to
reuse this should use it in its entirety