Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:59:30 -0700
Ok - I have a couple questions. Here is the more urgent one:

How often do ferrets throw up? The ferrets I owned before never vomited
that I saw. My Benny just started throwing up today - at about 3:45
this afternoon. It lasted only a few minutes and right after he went
poop in his litter box. From what I saw, the vomit looked like chewed
up food. It was very smooth and paste-like - there was no mucus or
other fluid. I've heard that sometimes ferrets will get a piece of
kibble stuck in their throat and have to throw it up. Never had that
happen before, but it sounds possible. Otherwise, he seems okay. He was
a little crabby last night but he was energetic and he's been using
the potty a normal amount. I'm just afraid it could be a blockage. He
doesn't usually chew on things - even chords - and I try to keep
everything possibly dangerous away from them. Let me know what you
think!

Here's the second question:

Does anyone on here use wood stove pellets as litter? I've heard and
read that a lot of people like to use them because they're cheap. I'm
asking because a local hardware store here has a 40 lb bag on sale for
$5. I'm currently using recycled paper pellets and they work pretty
well but they're more expensive than the wood pellets and I have to
drive 30 mins to the store to buy them. Do the wood pellets absorb
urine well? Do they mask odor at all? Odor doesn't bother me as much
because I do clean the litter everyday and I'm constantly adding new -
but if it doesn't mask odor at all and I'm constantly having to switch
it out, I don't see the point. Also - I've received advice to switch to
Yesterday's News but I'd still have to drive 30 mins and it's about the
same price as the litter I already use. I've also heard some people use
rabbit alfalfa pellets as litter - is that I good idea? Do the ferrets
eat it? Let me know what you all think!

Melissa

"Only a ferret can successfully steal your heart and keep you from ever
finding it again!" ~ Myself