From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:21:28 -0400
>I managed to lose all my saved e-mail.  A while back someone sent me the
>link to an ADV site where you could order and do the testing yourself.
>Is that recommended?  If anyone know the link I'm talking about or knows
>of another, please let me know.

Dear X:

For what it is worth, I have some serious misgivings about the current
reliability of the Avecon saliva test, and I do not currently recommend
its use.  There have been a number of false negatives with this test, and
it has recently shown poor correlation with Avecon blood tests in the
hands of owners and shelter operators.  Whether it is a sample problem, a
testing problem, a problem with the components, or something else, there
are simply too many variables with it to rely on it.

Regarding the available blood test, the CIEP test has many years of
successful use and independent confirmation of its reliability.
Currently, the leaders in research in this field, Drs. Bloom and
Stevenson, preferentially use it over an ELISA test.

Regarding the ELISA blood test by Avecon Diagnostics - the initial testing
regimen was fairly small and there were a number of false negatives.
Testing appears to be continuing at Avecon, but the proper time for this
testing is before a product goes to market, not afterward.  I suggest
that of the Avecon options, this one probably has more merit, but I would
caution, as I have in the recent past, that all positive ELISA tests be
confirmed by the CIEP test.  I am hopeful that Avecon will soon answer
the continuing questions on the product.

As a positive serologic titer for ADV is almost akin to a death sentence
for a ferret, I believe that all possible options should be exhausted
before declaring an animal positive.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM