From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:45:59 -0400
>At 2am this morning she had blood in her stool (dark)... She also spit
>up some treats with a little red blood... she started tooth grinding...
>I have delt with ulcers before.  They do not usually start with coughing?
>I think she is also hypersalivating?... episodes of diarrhea which she
>had really bad on Thursday?

Dear X:

You are likely dealing with a bad ulcer here.  The coughing may be totally
unrelated - I agree with you there.  But the tooth grinding, the tarry
stools, and the blood-tinged vomitus - these are all very indicative of an
ulcer.  the fact that she had diarrhea may be related to the ulcer, or may
once again indicate another problem.

Remember that ulcers most often occur secondarily to another condition,
so the coughing and or diarrhea may be the primary condition, and the
ulcer developed subsequently.

Let's get her on the Carafate 75 mg/lb ten minutes before each meal.  No
more treats, but either a baby food mixture or some form of duck soup.
Also hand feed water as often as possible.  (You can get some tips on
feeding sick ferrets and dealing with ulcers at my web site at
http://www.afip.org/ferrets .)

Have your vet check her carefully as soon as you can get her in - there
may be a panoply of problems here.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM