From:
Robert Galvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 10:53:31 -0500
My spouse & I are concerned about Montague, our 5 year old, male/neutered
ferret.  Over the last 6-8 weeks, he has been losing control of his bladder.
During playtime, he typically urinates 4 or more times in a 5-10 minute
period.  He's been to see the vet, Dr.  Mary Pariso, but we are not getting
to the root of the problem.  We asked Dr.  Pariso to writeup a brief summary
of the situation in the hopes that some of the other veterinarians reading
this list could provide some insight.

"We have questions concerning a 5 year old, male/neutered ferret with
dysuria, pollakiuria, and intermittent hematuria for 6-8 weeks duration.  A
radiograph has revealed a mass like density in the pelvic inlet which we
suspect is prostate.  A recent blood count and chemistry profile have shown
no significant abnormalities.  The ferret has also had hair loss, seborrhea,
and some pruritis.  In December of 1994, a hyperplastic adrenal gland was
removed on the left side.

At the 1996 Western States Veterinary Conference, Dr. Karen Rosenthal
described prostatice enlargement as a finding in adrenal hyperplasia.  Would
the above findings seem to fit with that clinical syndrome?  Are there any
medications that can be used to alleviate symptoms associated with the above
findings?  If adrenal hyperplasia can cause prostatomegally, will surgery
reverse the prostate enlargement?

Any information in regards to our case would be greately appreciated!
Thank You!"