From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 02:55:37 EDT
Mary Shefferman of Modern Ferret and I have exchanged some e-mail lately.
She would very much like to let FMLers know a little about what is going
on in the Shefferman's household but she really feels unable to write it
all down right now.

I've agreed to extract some thoughts from her recent e-mails and write
to the FML on her behalf.  None of this is necessarily my own opinion --
Mary has read this and indicated it was OK to post and I'm just acting as
the messenger.

Now, I certainly don't want to start another round of bickering.  Many of
us have chosen to express our opinions about Modern Ferret here over the
last couple of weeks but the Sheffermans have not responded in this forum.
So this is their response.  Take or leave it please -- it's a response to
past posts, not an invitation to start the mess all over again.

Q: Well, OK -- first why doesn't Mary or Eric post?  Why go through me?

A: The short answer is the emotional demands of doing so are just too
great.  Eric is extremely ill.  Mary is trying to hold everything together
while suffering from MAJOR depression.  Their love for each other as well
for the magazine makes this an incredibly trying time.  Better let someone
else who can remain relatively neutral post than to expend great emotional
energy writing about what's so dear to their hearts.

Q: Why do we have to find about it here?  Couldn't they send out a card
   to their subscribers?