From:
Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 00:23:42 -0700
As a self-appointed representative of Ferrets NorthWest FNW and the
Washington State Ferret Ass'n I had the pleasure of attending the subject
lecture 7 to 9 PM at the Humane Society lecture hall on the evening of
May 5 at a cost of $5.00 admission.

Unfortunately no other representatives(who willfully identified themselves)
of the local ferret community or WSFA were in attendance.

The lecture was delivered by a Ms. Hickey who had recently delivered a baby
and who also has pets, but not a ferret currently.  She has had a ferret in
the past.  I have the pleasure of providing to you her phone number if you
should wish to contact me by private email.  She is an excellent lecturer
and speaks from years of experience, mostly with pets other than ferrets.
She condescended to me specifically and related advice that would be useful
to a ferret owner, eventho the majority of the attendees were dog and cat
owners.

As a shelter, we have been obligated to accept ferrets from pregnant wives
who felt at risk in maintaining their ferret ownership in concert with a
newly born human infant.

Twice I personally have been involved with the consequences of pet
ferret "associations" with new-born human infants and it was ugly and
heartbreaking.  Consequently, I feel the need to try to understand why
some ferrets perform unsatisfactorily in close contact with a new-born
and hopefully provide to potential mothers some small help in eliminating
undesirable ferret-infant consequences.

In this manner, the loading upon Ferrets NorthWest FNW and other shelters
as well will be lessened and the bad reputation relative to ferret/human
infant relationships will be eased, at least a little bit.

I cannot go into the procedures and training recommendations for ferrets
that will be kept in a home with an new-born human infant in this posting.
I do plan to prepare a phamphlet, based primarily on Ms. Hickey's lecture,
and my own research, that will satisfy the need of the expectant mother in
terms of maintaining ferret ownership after baby comes home.

This pamphlet will be made available, for a nominal charge to cover
printing and postage and a minimal profit for Ferrets NorthWest FNW, to all
who request it, this in keeping with a similar 15-page pamphlet I provide
to interested ferreters who would like to learn FNW's approach to ferret
wellness, longevity, and training/nutrition (LUMPS).  Please be aware that
LUMPS is not a medicine-type fuel food for sick ferrets but is a superior
substitue for Totally Ferret (1/5 the cost) and is a primary food known to
keep ferrets in good health without turning them into blubber butts.

Ferrets NorthWest FNW also provides a 5-page illustrated publication
titled, "Converting a Rabbit Cage to a Ferret Condo." This publication ties
in very well with the publication on training your ferret for when baby
comes home.

Please forgive me if this posting reads like an advertisement for FNW
publications.  It's certainly not meant to be.  What I want to do is make
it known that such readings are available and any contacts for such
readings I should like to request be made by private email and not take up
space on the FML or the NWFR.

Thank you,   Edward Lipinski @ Ferret Endowment for Research,
Rehabilitation, Education and Training Society, NorthWest  or FERRETS
NorthWest FNW.