From:
Bobbi Bostrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:13:48 GMT
I am desperate for a way to help my 3 yr. old male ferret, Charlie.  He
has had severe diarrhea for over a month now and we cannot seem to find
a cause or a cure.  I have taken him to the vet twice.  The first time he
prescribed Clavamox for 10 days which did no good.  On the second trip,
the vet did a fecal analysis which was negative.  This time Charlie was
given Chloramphenicol.  He's been taking it for 3 days and it doesn't
seem to be working either.  This has us stumped!  Now Charlie has quit
eating andis very thin and weak.  I have been using a syringe to feed hm
a mixture of mushy ferret food, chicken baby food and Ferretvite mixed
with water.

This is the second ferret that this has happened to.  2 yrs. ago, I lost
another ferret, Booker, that had the same problem.  In both cases, poop
is slimy at times, and just runny at others, although, with Booker, the
poop was greenish and with Charlie, it is yellow.

If anyone has any idea what is going on, please contact me.  We feed our
ferrets a mixture of The Ferret Store's Superior Choice, Totally Ferret
and Iams Kitten Food.  they also get Ferrtevite and regular ferret treats
like Bandits, etc.  I am so worried that i will lose Charlie too!!  My
vet is a really nice guy, but does not have a lot of experienc with
ferrets.

thank you in advance.
Bobbi