From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 05:00:18 -0500
>They couldn't find anything so they gave us Amoxicillin and one other
>antibiotic.  They suggested we do an x-ray, but at $85, we cannot afford to
>do that.  She weighed 1 lb.  13 oz at the beginning of December, and she now
>weighs 1 lbx 4 oz.  So it appears to be something wrong with her right?  ...

Dear Josh,
I am sorry to hear about your recent loss.  I recently lost two ferrets to
ECE, leaving behind one lifetime companion who was fortunate enough to
survive.  It has been two months now, and still the remaining ferret fails
to eat on her own.  Even though she {Deja} is only 4 years old, her activity
has dropped to a virtual standstill.  I received a rescue ferret boy about 9
mos and a baby girl about 9 wks.  While she expressed interest in both, Deja
would quickly shy away from any romping and just go back to sleep.  She has
had a fasting glucose test, two cultures, two CBC, urinalysis, a lymph bio
sent to two pathologists, and x-rays: all read negative [her blood sugar was
119 after 5 hours fasting].  She had a sonogram several months prior to this
and an arrhythmia showed up, but not a cardiomyopathy; an overall strong
heart beat.

She barely opens her eyes wide unless she is somewhere new [like the vet's,
but at this rate, that could get old fast too].  She has been examined by
Miami's finest surgeons and ferret-wise vets.  I even brought her down to
the regional saint of ferrets at Miami Rescue for her opinion.  I realize
that these tests are an added stress, however, with the exception of a
possible exploratory, of nominal risk.  And with ferrets, it is so hard to
tell sometimes....and so important to catch things early.... So now, we may
go ahead with helicobacter Tx even though tests are negative because even
with the pre-Tx of prilosec, the odds are in favor of not detecting
helicobacter unless we do a stomach aspirate.  The Tx itself is simple and
straightforward so that will probably be the next step.  But first, the vet
will consult with S.  Brown for any possible input.  I have never
experienced an animal suffering from a depression of this magnitude and
duration, however, that may very well be the case.  It's a tough call.... I
know some may think "gee, leave the poor animal alone" and just continue
spoon-feeding her and I am inclined to agree.  However, after ECE, anything
is possible.  Perhaps someone can help us with both our dilemmas.... In the
meantime, Josh, I would suggest spoon-feeding her some softened food mixed
with water that is slightly warmed up to try and get Nikki's weight back up
[approx.  20-30cc/every 4 hrs].  You can also try Nutrical as a supplement.
There are other supplements available and it is a matter of trial and error.
Mine hates them all!  I thought maybe my experiences may help you in yours.
Good luck Josh and best wishes.

sincerely,

alphachi