From:
Charles Thistlethwaite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 00:09:17 -0500
Since I recieved so many expressions of concern about Boomerang, the
neglected ferret, I wanted to post an update on his condition.  Unfortunately
the prognosis is not good.  He has gotten more alert with close supportive
care, including amoxocillian, rehydration with electorlytes, and force
feeding of Nutrical.  However, he still has to have his front paws imobilized
(taped up) to keep him from irritating his inflamed tonscils and the exposed
portion of his palete.  He is in pain, although it is orders of magnitude
less than with an active  infection in his throat.  A serious respritory
infection remains and he has continued to lose weight, although at a slower
rate.  His stools are still loose, runny and black (Vet thinks it is an
indication of blood in the stools, although he has done no analysis).  The
prognosis is still poor and he will have to be euthanized unless his
condition inproves.  I tell him about all the concern and sympathy he has
recieved in E-mail messages and the FML.  If only his owner had expressed
1/100th the concern of his new friends, he would never have gotten into this
situation.

To reassure everyone, I interviened and took possession of both of the
ferrets.  The albino male is looking much better having a warm, dry and clean
place to sleep along a diet of ferret food, ferritone and TLC.  I am up in OR
until next Thursday (the 23rd) at which time I will be taking both fellows
home with me.  Boomerang, unfortunately must be strong enough by then for me
to attempt to transport him any distance.