From:
Joan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:10:04 -0600
Dear FML's,

On Nov.  15, 1999, I put my little Chloe to sleep.  She would have been 8
yrs. old in January.  I had Chloe for 4 yrs. 10 months.  I got her from
F.A.I.R. shelter, I almost didn't take Chloe.  Mary van Dahn knew I would
not take an albino and over 2 yrs. old, when I went to the shelter, Mary
only had 3 ferrets at the time.  Chloe was one of them.  She was playing in
the play pen and having a ball.  Chloe was a loner.  Mary called her name
and Chloe came running, I picked her up and she started giving me lot of
kisses, Chloe loved to give kisses.  Well, I went home with a 3 yrs.  old
red-eye albino name Chloe.  I have never regretted it.  Chloe gave me so
much love and enjoyment.  She is missed deeply.

In Feb.  1997, Chloe had surgery for A.D.  She came out of surgery just
fine and enjoy life again.  Then May , 1998 Chloe went in for abdominal
exploratory surgery, where her vet, Dr. Uhlir found cancer in her back
lymph nodes.  He started her on chemo and got a shot every 3 wks, she was
also on prednisolone.  Chloe had a good life, enjoying running and playing.
In Sept. 1999, Chloe started sleeping a lot but did enjoy playing.  Around
October we knew Chloe was bleeding on the inside, not much but bleeding.
Around the end of October I took Chloe for a check up and was told the
chemo wasn't working and the tumor was just getting bigger and bigger.
Chloe was not a candidate for surgery.  He gave her another shot they give
to dogs with cancer hoping it would help, it didn't.  The tumor just would
not goes down.  He also told me the cancer were getting to her other
organs.  We both knew Chloe wouldn't be here much longer.  I took Chloe for
another check up on Nov.  8, nothing were working, Chloe was not happy.
You could look into her eyes and knew she was not a happy ferret, her eyes
was dull, she were sleeping all the time.  On Thursday, Nov. 11, I made the
hardest decision of my life to let Chloe go.  We had the week end, Monday
together and it was a wonderful time.  The whole week end and Monday, she
didn't sleep as much, she roamed the apartment like she knew it would be
the last time.  I had already told her I was going to let her go.  Since
the weather was nice on Saturday, I got her little blue blanket and we went
for a walk.  I put her down so she could play in the grass but she didn't
want to.  When we left for the vet Monday evening, she was very quiet in
her cage, at wasn't Chloe, she always try to get out, got in the room,
Chloe lay in my left arm with her little head in the crook of my arm where
I petted and talk to her for 30 minutes.  Chloe never like to be held for
more than a minute but she didn't move.  Chloe knew she wasn't coming back
home alive.  Chloe was not in pain yet as far as we knew.  I buried her at
a friend house with Mikee and Honey.  She was buried in her little blue
blanket, 3 of her favorest toys, pictures, a letter and a little angel.
I know she 's with Mikee and Honey at the Rainbow Bridge, not a loner
anymore, free of cancer and never be in pain.  But oh how I miss her and
hurt for her.

My vet wrote me a very nice letter.  He told me Chloe's disease was very
serious and dangerous and we were very lucky to have the extra time with
her.  She was happy and healthy throught most of her disease.  Chloe never
let her problem get in her way and she had a strong spirit.  I miss you so
much Chloe, miss all your sweet kisses.  Thank you for the 5 yrs.  we had
together.  They were wonderful years.

Two people I would like to say "Thank You" to.  Troy Lynn Eckart for all
the help she gave me every time I email her about Chloe.  She always got
back to me.  Norine Barnes, who was Chloe foster Mom for awhile.  She
always came over when I call and asked her to, she also took care of Chloe
when I had to fly out of town.  Thanks you both.  Chloe had free roam in
the den, never was in a cage, ran the hall, bath room and bedroom when I
was home.  She was a free spirit little lady, enjoy life to the fullest.
She is at peace now, having a ball at the Bridge.  I love and miss you my
little Chloe, we shall meet again.

Thank you all for listening.  It help knowing we have ferrets lover to talk
to.  Prayers goes out to all sick little ferrets, and to those who have
lost a little one.  Bless you all.

Joan Crawford                             Missing Chloe

"Women's  Basketball Hall of Fame" June 5, 1999. Knoxville, TN
"Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame" Sept. 1997, Springfield, MA
Joan A. Crawford
Senior Bibliographic Editor       Missing Chloe
MARC Dept.
1935 North Sheridan Road     Phone: (847) 491-7586
Northwestern University Library   FAX (847) 491-8306
Evanston, IL 60208-2300
web page:
<http://www.library.nwu.edu/staff/jcrawford/>http://www.library.nwu.edu/staf
f/jcrawford/