Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 20:33:13 -0700
 >Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>A REAL shelter is populated by 70% >to 85% UNADOPTABLE ferrets... sick,
>elderly, behavior disorders.)

I was sitting here reading and nodding in agreement to almost everything
Debi was saying ... until I got to the above statement.  I've been in the
rescue business for fourteen years now (only the past 5 years included
ferrets) and I do run a "real shelter."  My disagreement with Debi's
statement is that I don't believe there is such a thing as an unadoptable
animal.  There are amazingly kind and wonderful people out there who
willingly take on the care of the sick, the elderly and the animals with
"behavior problems."

It's certainly true that these animals stay with us until that special
home is found, but so do all of the healthy, young, attractive animals.
If a shelter holds on to their special needs ferrets because no one else
can care for them as well as they can, they'll soon find that they have
100% "unadoptable" ferrets and you'll be out of the rescue business and
into the category of "collector."

"Feisty" a beautiful dark sable 2 year old female, who plays fantastically
with other ferrets, but who draws blood every chance she gets, just went to
her new home this past week.  We worked with her for 6 months and even made
a small additional amount of headway after a recent visit by an out of
state shelter mom.  But Feisty needs a whole lot more individual attention.
She was adopted by a very ferret experienced gentleman and his wife who
have worked with other biters and aren't intimidated by them.  Feisty is
now living happily with 3 other special needs ferrets. :-)

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125