From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:14:35 -0400
Sandee Ferret and Muldoon,

Can you please check on my boy Petey that I miss so much.  Here is his
story:

Today was a good day to go to the bridge.  With all the rain that we
have had it was a bit easier to help Petey find the beginning of the
Rainbow....at the other end awaits his Miss Pixie Mouse.

Petey was rescued from the RI ARL about a year and a half ago with Miss
Pixie Mouse.  They were found as strays on the mean streets in Rhode
Island.  Pixie was a tiny little girl with a previously broken nose and
teeth and Petey was her protector.  Who will ever know what they went
through before Phyllis and I saw them in a quarantined cage with the
"PTS" sign on it.  It was Phyllis that named them, she with the
Pixie-like face and Petey who was completely curled around her.

Over the past few months, Petey developed insulnoma on top of the adrenal
symptoms.  He did pretty well for a good while, helping "Mommie" around
the room with all the duties.  He got special outdoor time since he
didn't like any of the other ferrets and loved to snorkel in the grass.

Like so many others he also developed lymphoma and megasophagus.  The
last two weeks were so difficult for him just to enjoy his duck soup.
With lots of patience and soothing he would have good days and bad days.
Yesterday was a very bad day and he let me know who scared he was.  I
have never seen a ferret do a "bottle-brush face" before and his eyes
looked scared as well.  I cuddled him all night and told him it was ok
to go.

Imagine my surprise to see him waiting for me at the door this morning.
We had a good day, he was able to drink up watery duck soup and walk
around pretty well.  At work he even managed to eat a few pieces of
kibble (crunch, crunch, crunch is always music to my ears).

At his vet appointment we listed all the medical challenges he was
facing.  Adrenal, Insulnoma, lymphoma, vomiting, low to medium level
of pain, etc...

Since he could no longer enjoy his duck soup on a regular basis, nor
control his bowels (although he did a fabulous looking poop on my lap in
my pajamas last night!) We decided to send him on his way with a warm
full belly of soup, the few pieces of kibble he managed to eat himself.

Covered in Mommie's tears, with whispers of I love yous in his ears, he
drifted off to sleep.

It was a good day to go to the bridge today, the rainbows to guide him
and the full harvest moon to light the way.

Diane W.