From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:54:49 -0500
Where did we get our ferrets?  Generally speaking, from people who
couldn't make a commitment to them.

Our first two, No, and her sister Don't (I no longer remember their
given names, which were quite ordinary) were given up by a couple who
"didn't have time for them anymore."  They taped a note to that effect
on the front door of the town post office.  "Free, to a good home."
(I've always wondered, is there a surcharge if you happen to be from a
bad home?)

Later, we learned from the internet that Maya and Sabrina needed a new
home.  Their hoomins were relocating to a new city, and could not take
the ladies with them.  Why, I always wondered.  Why?  Ferrets were not
illegal there.  These people were reasonably affluent.  Why?  They
claimed to love the ladies.  They cried when they gave me the box of
little hats, and H-harnesses....ferretvite and treats.  I have no answer.

Switch the Kit was our first pet store ferret.  We went into the store
to *look* at the ferrets.  Just to *look.*  We were fools.  It was a
learning experience.

I never knew Lily's story.  Someone didn't want her anymore.  She was
given temporary shelter by Risa, and Risa brought her to us.  Lily was
our Forever Weasel, then.

Ping is He came from the MAFF shelter.  His hoomin dumped him there
*twice* for failure to be "cuddly enough."  The man got a cat instead,
then dumped the cat.  Last anyone heard, he had acquired an iguana.
(Personally, I like iguanas, but I don't think of them as "cuddly.")

Puma was our second pet store kit, purchased by me because my husband
was grieving so hard for Switch.  I feel guilty about buying from a store
again, but then I see how happy my husband is with Puma in his arms,
rubbing her under the chin, talking to her softly.  I have to remind
myself that we haven't done too badly, having gotten three quarters of
our ferrets as rescues or adoptions.  My goal is to never buy from a
store again.

Alexandra in MA